POSITION: Portfolio Manager/Underwriter
REPORTS TO: Chief Credit Officer
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage loan underwriting process by underwriting, processing, and coordinating the closing of business loans in compliance with the SBA’s SOP, the Bank’s lending policies and procedures, and federal & state, and national regulations.
- Analyze the overall financial strength and weaknesses of each borrower through review of current and historical financial information.
- Provide in-depth analysis of financial statements, cash flow, tax returns, and 3rd party credit reports to assess the financial and credit risk of borrower and guarantor.
- Analyze collateral as a secondary repayment source to assess the secured position of the Bank.
- Prepare accurate, objective, and cogent credit write-ups based upon in-depth analysis of financial data within established time frames.
- Prepare reports with supporting schedules detailing a factual summary of the credit request on all loan transactions such as, but not limited to, new loan requests, renewals, work-outs, and modification requests.
- Make presentations of the loan credit write-ups for new and renewed loans to the Director’s Loan committee.
- Coordinate with the Business Development Officers in resolving customers’ needs and ensuring that any issues are resolved on a timely basis.
- Support the Loan Department in maintaining a customer service-driven sales and service environment.
- Have a current understanding of stated procedures and policies, including regulatory compliance guidelines.
- Manage an assigned portfolio for renewals and related tickler items, as well as responding to ongoing customer requests and needs. Portfolio management activities include but are not limited to site visits and follow-up calls with clients, brokers, and BDOs.
- Demonstrate quality customer service with existing customers regarding renewals, extensions, past dues, or additional credit needs
- Keep credit risk ratings current throughout the life of the loan and borrower banking relationship. Loan risk ratings should be validated or new grades assigned, if appropriate, at renewal or periodic review.
- Identify any credit weaknesses and problems in a timely manner. Report findings with recommended solutions to the Chief Credit Officer.
- Monitor loan repayment activities and take necessary action to collect on loan payments past due or matured loans. Prepare documentation needed to obtain approvals as appropriate.
- Ensure all loans are in compliance with all financial documentation and covenants required on an ongoing basis.
- Assist customers with any problems and/or complaints regarding their loan or operating accounts.
- Assist with contacting customers who have non-borrowing accounts and use other Bank services.
- Participate in community affairs to increase the Bank’s visibility and enhance new business opportunities.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable State and Federal banking regulations, bank policies, and procedures, including but not limited to the Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering Program and Information Systems Security Policies.
- Handle special projects and other responsibilities as directed by CCO.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Good written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate effectively
- Maintains a professional image when giving and taking information in writing, in person, and over the phone.
- Willing to work flexible or extended working hours to meet business needs.
- Proficient in computer skills, including Excel and Word
- Experienced in using financial spreadsheet models and other credit-related software.
- 5 or more year’s commercial banking experience required.
- BS or BA in Accounting, Business Administration, or Economics with an understanding of basic Accounting preferred
- Standard banking environment.
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 10-25 lbs. of force.
- Ability to sit for up to 8 hours per day with time on the telephone and/or at the computer.
- Ability to type at a computer keyboard and view a computer monitor for up to 8 hours a day.
- Ability to use and facsimile, photocopier, and other general office equipment frequently.
Beacon Business Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer, drug-free workplace, and complies with ADA regulations as applicable.